Tuesday, April 24, 2007

variation

My favorite dolls as a little girl were the Barbies with the more "subtle" faces - not a lot of "make-up" etc. It's still true today and I tend to have a harder time finding the desire to cut them up.

Sometimes when people see my work they're amazed to discover there are in fact variations in Barbie's face. There are SO many dolls, mold types and different various paint techniques out there that she's become quite diverse, for a mass-produced plastic toy. Even body type variation. I have my dolls separated out by "body type" in plastic pins and again, there's more of a difference from doll to doll than you may realize. Well OK, as far as "weight and height" Barbie of course has always been tall and curvy. But mold type and construction vary considerably year to year.

No comments: