Friday, June 08, 2007

Thinking Blogger Award!


Wow! I was bestowed the honor of receiving a "Thinking Blogger Award" by bead artist Lori Greenberg and I can honestly say I am shocked! Really I was convinced that there were 3 people in my life that read this blog regularly: Dave, my mom, and my friend Kate. It didn't bother me much however, I guess because the purpose of this blog for me was more an exercise in self-discipline than anything. As well as a forum for celebrating my successes and pondering and blabbing on about random musings as I contemplate my journey through the highs and lows of my creative life. But to learn someone else, someone unrelated to me, is reading my blog… regularly?! I really do feel honored. See her post here.

If there's anyone else out there reading and/or lurking in the shadows, please feel free to say hello and let me know you're there! It would really make my day.

So here's how this works: since I was tagged, I now choose my top 5 blogs, those I read regularly and the ones that make me think…
  1. Art Biz Blog Art coach Alyson Stanfield's blog, this one is the ultimate thinker! It persuades me to focus on all the things I often (don't wanna!!) think about to keep me on track with my business. An endless source of helpful information.
  2. Plastic Girl Liana Kabel's blog, the blog that started it all for me! She inspired me to start midgesmind and I continue to visit her Plastic Girl blog for insights and inspiration. I think she's fabulous.
  3. Design*Sponge I visit this blog regularly because I'm always inspired by the great design blogger Grace Bonney highlights. I've discovered more artists and designers through this website than any other. Makes me ponder current art/design trends.
  4. The Carrotbox I had to include this blog because it has introduced me to SO many jewelers around the world that I wouldn't have known about otherwise. Always inspirational. Always gets me thinking about art jewelry.
  5. I Totally Hear That! I have to second Lori Greenberg's choice with this one. Hands down my favorite music/pop culture blog. Writer Mark Blankenship has got it right, especially when he says things like… (in reference to the Miss Universe Pageant): "I know, of course, that women all over the planet are subjected to constant human rights abuses and that in America they still hit glass ceilings every day. However, I naively believed that misogyny and objectification were only peddled as entertainment in lad mags like Maxim and Stuff. I didn't know that such things were still being sold to us in the guise of female empowerment." Yes.
Now for the rules, should you thought-provoking bloggers choose to respond and continue the award giving:

1. If, and only if, you get tagged, write a post with links to 5 blogs that make you think,
2. Link to this post so that people can easily find the exact origin of the meme,
3. Optional: Proudly display the ‘Thinking Blogger Award’ with a link to the post that you wrote (here is an alternative silver version if gold doesn’t fit your blog).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say that I read your blog regularly and I totally dig your work (and your blog too)!

I am a jeweler in Portland, Oregon and a coworker at my office job showed me your site where I found you blog. I recently started one too with similar goals.

I agree, it has been very inspirational to read blogs on lots of different topics. I also read Design*Sponge and Carrotbox. You may also try Inhabitat, Core77 (Pratt Industrial Design blog) or Sources of Enchantment (An investigation of what inspires makers today) for other thinking blogs. Lots of stuff on green design at the first two.

Sorry to make such a long comment but I wanted to let you know I am enjoying reading your blog and seeing your new work! Thanks!

Jessica

Margaux Lange said...

Definitely don't apologize!! Thanks for commenting - I'm glad to meet you Jessica, and thanks so much for the heads up about the other blogs, I will definitely check them out. What is your blog? And do you have a website for your jewelry?

Liana Kabel said...

Midge I am truly honoured.

You are fabulous and I'm making it a goal to come and visit you one day - if that is OK with you!

Margaux Lange said...

YES! We shall meet one day Liana! You can visit any time!

:-)

silverfilings said...

glad you will check out the other blogs midge!
you can find my blog at:
silverfilings.wordpress.com
and my much need of an update website at:
vasidesign.com

Unknown said...

I wrote about your jewelry in November 2008. I'm not sure if you knew that. Here's the link: http://girlonthestreet.wordpress.com/2008/11/14/the-best-thing-i-saw-today/ And my new site is www.whatwomenmake.com. I would love it if you would add me to your blog roll. Let me know what you think of my site. Really love your jewelry. Wish I could find more jewelry this original...
Chauncey