Sunday, November 05, 2006

FAQ #3…

8. “Do you love her or hate her?”
Honestly, a little of both, however, I have to say I definitely lean more toward the love end. Barbie was immensely important in fueling my creative life as a child, not to mention developing my dexterity in playing with her and her miniature world. I love that what I adored as a child has become the focus of my career as an adult. I have to appreciate her for that. Sometimes my work takes on a more feminist bent, examining Barbie critically, a rejection of the prescribed roles associated with women. And then sometimes it’s about embracing femininity… getting girly and accessorized. Or finding a balance somewhere in the middle. It’s constantly evolving, much like my own experience with womanhood, a series of rejecting and embracing.

There’s much to be examined regarding Barbie as an ideology, but I don’t believe that necessarily makes her evil. Barbie and her influence is much too complex an issue to simply condemn as destructive to children. A Barbie is a toy and a tool, and in the hands of a child, she’s a means of exploration and an outlet for imagination. Each childs' experience with her is unique and I believe there’s value in that. There’s far more real-life (so-called) 'role models' little girls will worship and try to emulate that concern me.

9. “What do your pieces of art jewelry cost?”
It ranges depending on what it is. Earrings start at $110 (USD), necklaces have sold for as much as $4,000. Everything in the ‘Plastic Body Series’ is one-of-a-kind art jewelry (with the exception of a few limited edition pieces) and is made entirely by yours truly. For more information on availability and pricing, you may contact one of the galleries currently representing my work. [see below]

10. “Where can I see your Plastic Body Series jewelry?”
I encourage you to check out my website at: www.margauxlange.com to view the latest work in the series. If you would like to be added to my mailing list, just send me an email with your name and mailing address. I am also fortunate to be represented by several fantastic art jewelry galleries here in the US. All of them would be more than happy to assist with availability, purchasing and/or shipping questions:

Julie: Artisans' Gallery
762 Madison Ave [65th - 66th]
New York, NY 10021
212.717.5959
www.julieartisans.com
email: julie762@aol.com

Facéré Jewelry Art Gallery
1420 Fifth Ave
Seattle, WA 98101
206.624.6768
www.facerejewelryart.com
email: facereart@aol.com

Cervini Haas Gallery/Gallery Materia
4222 N. Marshall Way
Scottsdale, Arizona 85251
480.429.6116
www.cervinihaas.com
email: info@cervinihaas.com

Museum of Contemporary Art
220 East Chicago Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60611
312.280.2660
www.mcachicago.org
email: webmaster@mcachicago.org

Delaware Center for the Contemporary Arts
200 South Madison Street
Wilmington, Delaware 19801
302.656.6466
www.thedcca.org
email: info@thedcca.org

3rd Ward Jewelry
241 N. Broadway

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
414.289.0886
email: rita@3rdwardjewelry.com

No comments: