Monday, October 04, 2010

Eleanor White

Jack of Spades II © Eleanor White

Last weekend the hubby and I attended the Beacon Open Studios event going on across town as a way to get out and connect with some local artists. It was a lot of fun and we met some great folks that I'm very much looking forward to connecting with again.


Jack of Spades II (detail) © Eleanor White

One artist that I was particularly curious about was Eleanor White. I had seen her work online before, so I was excited to get a chance to see it in person. Unfortunately, she was not in the studio at the time we were there, but we did get a chance to speak to her husband a bit.

Eleanor creates what she calls, "playing card drawings" which are assemblages/arrangements/alterations of playing cards. She draws on the cards, scratches away, or uses gold and silver leaf to affect the surface of the cards.

Card Variations © Eleanor White

King of Hearts (detail) © Eleanor White

King of Hearts © Eleanor White

It was cool to learn that Eleanor received her MFA in sculpture from the Maryland Institute College of Art - my alma mater! She was also the recipient of a 2007 NYFA fellowship for drawing which is a huge honor.

Jack of Clubs © Eleanor White

Queen of Hearts, Jack of Spades, Queen of Diamonds © Eleanor White

I really responded to these works, particularly the circular pieces. Perhaps it's the patterning effect or their almost floral-like symmetry, but I immediately see the "wear-ability" of these works. Definitely inspirational for me! What do you guys think? …you like?

For more images and information about Eleanor White check out: http://eleanorwhite.blogspot.com/

King of Hearts II, Queen of Hearts II © Eleanor White

circular works (framed) © Eleanor White

As a curious side note… also on display in her studio was this gigantic hairball, collected and made out of her own hair…

Shed (hairball) © Eleanor White

I found this hilarious, because I too used to collect and make (smaller) hairballs out of my hair once upon a time

Caged Hair Necklace © Margaux Lange 2000

(PS. I still have this piece I made back in college. I know! - shocking it never sold! hahaha)

No comments: