Sunday, May 24, 2009

catching up

I've been neglecting the blog for far too long my friends. My apologies. It's just that SO much is going on these days! I know I know, it's not fair not to share. So I'm going to make a more concerted effort to fit in more frequent blogging starting this week. I'll be better, I promise.

Last weekend was the BUST craftacular the Warsaw here in Brooklyn and despite the mediocre sales, it was a fun way to spend the afternoon. BIG thanks to Nina, Mia, Megan, Rachel, Tiffany, Mike, Jamie, Zack, Crystal and Kate… it was greet to see your friendly faces (and meet some of you for the first time after knowing you strictly in a virtual sense for some time now.) Also HUGE thanks to Dave for helping me out for the first half of the show, and my fabulous assistant Ashley for the second half - you guys rock!

In other exciting news… my Orange Blossoms Neckpiece is back in my own safe hands again! I had to pick it up from the Brooklyn property office this week where it has been held as evidence while the scammer, Adam Hershkowitz, was prosecuted. I was amazed to see it had not been damaged, beyond what looks like some wear around the hinges on the neckwire.

When the woman behind the caged counter top at the property office brought the necklace over to me wrapped in plastic, she had a puzzled look on her face. She said to me (in her thick Brooklyn accent): "I thought this was some kinda car part or somethin'. How the heck did he get this thing off your neck?!" "It's a looong story" I replied. She gave me a classic -oh honey, say no more, I know exactly what you mean, I've heard it all- look.

Despite the heartache and hassle of the whole ordeal, it has been an interesting experience - fortunately with a happy ending. I chuckle a bit to think of the journey this necklace has been on. From that first day in the precinct when I had to show the officers a photo of the necklace, to the grand jury courtroom when I had to describe what sort of jewelry I make for a living, to the pick-up clerk at the property office… I can't help but be amused when I think about all the hands this necklace has passed through in the past couple of months. Cops, lawyers, etc. - people who may never otherwise experience Art jewelry, have now seen images of and/or held a one-of-a-kind, Barbie doll and sterling silver necklace. I like to think of it as a bizarre "traveling exhibition" of sorts. I'm just glad the exhibition is now over.


lucyslounge-dee said...

i feel the same about my blog . i should blog more but life gets in the way. i now write once a week. it sounds like you had abig adventure [ i haven't time to read through to get the whole story but i will later] isn't it amazing where our interests take us. it sounds like an episode from csi.

Miss Dot said...

congrats on getting it back finally!

KitschenSink said...

I'm so pleased you have it back now, and that you see the silver lining in it all. Let's hope he doesn;t get chance to do this again.

Margaux Lange said...

Thanks ladies! Indeed I hope no one else has to go through this kitchensink.

Catherine Chandler said...

I'm so glad the necklace is back in your hands! At the very least, this has probably strengthened you as a person far more than you know :) And I think it has given us (your fellow artisans and readers) a little more faith in the system (one might hope). Thank you for sharing your story and experience, and prosecuting the dirt bag who stole it!