Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Oh boy.

Still getting it wrong, after 50 years.

No we don't.

I don't have a problem with tattoos, or kids wanting to wear fake ones for that matter. (They get them at the dentist now-a-days for good behavior!) but this image circulating the internet really hit me. I think it's the placement on the Barbie's body in combination with Ken's name, like some messed up branding, or claim to ownership. Perhaps if it was a flower or a butterfly, like the first tattoo Barbie Mattel released in 1999 it would be a bit easier for me to swallow.

What's not clear is if this particular sticker is actually a part of the new Tattoo Barbie kit or not? From the pics I found online, it didn't appear to be, but I'm not sure. Regardless, the new Barbie is causing quite the stir among "concerned parents." But then, Mattel was about due for another controversy.

1 comment:

Gwendala said...

I agree completely. Tramp stamp on barbie is the last thing we females need.

THere is a book out about Ruth the creator that is rumored to be great.

http://www.amazon.com/Barbie-Ruth-Worlds-Famous-Created/dp/0061341312