Saturday, September 13, 2008

Art Smith

Recently I visited the Brooklyn Museum to see the Art Smith jewelry exhibition and was simply blown away…

This was my favorite piece in the exhibit. I just love the linear undulations in contrast with the solidity of the other half.

"A piece of jewelry is in a sense an object that is not complete in itself. Jewelry is a 'what is it?' until you relate it to the body. The body is a component in design just as air and space are. Like line, form, and color, the body is a material to work with. It is one of the basic inspirations in creating form."
- Art Smith


Art Smith was an important and prominent modernist jeweler of the 40's and 50's and his works are inspiring and bold. If you're in the NY area, I highly suggest checking out this exhibition while it's still on view. For details go here.

PS. How great is that name for a jeweler… Art Smith?!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Art Smith's work! Its so powerful and free. Was there a catalog to the exhibit? I doubt I'll be able to get up there anytime soon, but I'd love to have his images to drool over.

Snotty McSnotterson said...

Great artist name! A friend of mine forwarded your website to a bunch of us, and I was blown away--your jewelry is the coolest thing I have ever SEEN! I'm imploring my boyfriend to get me some immediately (thank god for anniversaries). :) Keep up the good work--so creative!

Margaux Lange said...

Thank you ladies!

wendy - yes there was a catalog for the exhibit, it's small but has photos of all the works on view. I bought one myself! You can probably contact the Brooklyn Museum about it.

snotty - thanks so much for your kind words and for visiting my website and blog!

Netty said...

Just happened to be in NY visiting my daughter last week from Los Angeles. We hit a number of exhibits together, but I had a "free" day to spend on my own. I made it to the Brooklyn Museum on December 5th to check out the Rock Photo exhibit, however, went through several of the other exhibits as well. That's when I came across the Art Smith Jewelry exhibit. Awesome pieces and artist! I had never heard of him either...but then I've never researched jewelers or jewelry smiths. I started silversmithing in high school in the mid '70s...then later added copper and brass. I have not done anything for the past 10 years, but still have some of my "tools." I'll have to say that the Art Smith exhibit was very inspiring to me and made my day. I made it a point to buy the little book at the museum store and to research his work and him a little more when I got home...that's when I ran across your page! Nice post for a superbly creative talent! Thanks for sharing.