Sunday, April 29, 2007

Signs of Life

Well, I'm so close to the finish line now I can smell it (no wait, that's epoxy and liver of sulfur fumes… oh whatever) I feel proud of myself. Proud that I pushed through despite an incredibly strong resistance to working these past few months. It was by far the most difficult body of work I've had to produce. (Not the work itself, but because of the circumstances under which I've had to force myself to be creative for the past three months.) I've never felt so drained. And yet now, the usual elation that follows completion has started to sink in, and I'm thrilled to see the light at the end of the tunnel. A much needed break from my studio - and Brooklyn - is on the horizon thankfully as D and I plan to head upstate to visit family.

The printed journal that corresponds with the Signs of Life show at Facere Jewelry Art Gallery is available for $12. Go here for purchasing details.

(front)
*click on images for close ups*

(back)

Linda Breneman was the writer with whom my work was paired for the journal. She came up with a fantastic short story inspired by my "Queen E." neckpiece. She lives in Seattle, and is a… "former technical writer and long time supporter of medical research, education and the arts. She's also co-founder of Richard Hugo House and Seattle Dramatists. Her poetry, essays, and fiction have appeared in Seattle Review, Poetry Northwest, Descant, Ascent, Asphodel and other magazines."

All of the writing and artwork in the journal turned out great. I wish we could have made the trip out to Seattle to see the show in person, meet the Facere gallery crew, as well as all the artists, writers and collectors. Alas. Hopefully one day soon that will happen. It just wasn't meant to be this time around I suppose.

On another note, today is my mother's birthday and since I know she reads my blog regularly, I have to give her a shout out… Happy Birthday Mama! I love you with all my heart. xoxox

No comments: