Thursday, July 13, 2006

The Pleasure of Business

You may have noticed lately I've strayed quite a bit from the original intent of this blog, into more "personal" arenas. This is mainly because I haven't felt I have a lot to share in terms of "artistic revelations" as I've been preoccupied with 'How I Will Pay My Rent Every Month.' I've begun working a couple new part-time jobs that I've taken on as secondary sources of income. I thought today I'd share a bit about what they are…

The first is working for my dear friend Kate Cusack assisting in the expansion of her Zipper Pin Empire. I'm helping her with the production of the lovely pins she's been making since 2002 that are now being sold all over the US. Each one is hand fabricated and they come in a vast array of colors. (She was brave to trust me with a needle and thread. Fortunately, all digits are thus far in tact.)



I've also started working with Azu Studio in Manhattan assisting with the production of the Relix Band: bracelets made from the used guitar strings of famous musicians such as: Ben Harper, Buddy Guy, Death Cab for Cutie, Les Claypool, etc. All proceeds from the sale of the bracelets go to charities the musicians choose to support. A pretty cool gig so far.



(Now if only we could get my favorite band Rasputina in on it!)

2 comments:

Liana Kabel said...

Yes there is this unfortunate thing called REALITY that we occasionally must face. Although maybe not today.

I have admired those gorgeous flower zipper brooches for quite some time. It reminds me how so often simple ideas can be best (and perhaps that simple ideas are never quite as simple as they appear).

Margaux Lange said...

Yes indeed Liana, I totally agree.

Richie: not sure what you mean by "sell out" - the proceeds from the project do go to charity and that's ultimately a good thing right? I mean, they're used strings bound for the garbage can anyway.